Outdoors Ontario Search

Custom Search

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Northern British Columbia Fishing...........


This is a little bit outside of Ontario; however I did live here for seven years and not only was the fishing excellent, the moose hunting was the best I'll ever do in my life. Back on topic regarding the fishing....I lived in the Town of Stewart BC; which sits on the end of the Portland Canal (Pacific Ocean) on the border with Hyder , Alaska. The fish in this photo were caught in the harbor in January trolling a cut plug. It took me about two hours. These fish had so much fat on them it was unreal, good fighters I might add. They all ended up in the smoker. Crossing over into Hyder Alaska , populatiom of around 100 people, if you drive just out of town the State of Alaska built a Grizzly and Black bear viewing platform. Some brave fisherman attempt to fish downstream of the platform, however I never felt the need to tempt fate. Meziadin lake is also an excellent choice, I usually always caught my limit of Dolly Varden on the far side of the lake trolling about 10 feet from shore in 4-6 feet of water. On one occasion I was using an old push button reel, with a very small Clio.......much to my surprise I thought I was caught on bottom........"Big Surprise" a 54 pound Chinook...worst part I had to throw it back as once they reach the lake you can't keep them. If you are wanting excellent fishing; Terrace BC, can't be beat, springs, pinks, steelhead, sockeye.............I'll post more info in the future.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some huge fish. I loved smoked fish, and I bet those made some good eating.

admin said...

Just like eating candy.......thanks for the comment