Outdoors Ontario Search

Custom Search

Friday, January 16, 2009

Turkeys In The Winter

Driving home from work today I turned off highway 35 north of Pontypool and looked down the embankment beside the road along a field of corn that hadn't been harvested and noticed a flock of about 30 birds. The temperature with the wind chill was about -25c. It just goes to prove how hearty these birds are, and how well they have adapted. I also noticed quite a few other tracks along the field and through the adjacent bush; at first I thought it was cattle tracks. Upon closer inspection I discovered that there was quite an abundance of deer also feeding off this field of standing corn. Short drives , not far from home on cold days , can reveal some good spots for next season. I'll definitely remember this spot.

No comments: